Thursday, March 18, 2010

Goodbye Excursion

Last week Joe sold his Excursion. It was an overly big, absurdly loud truck that we have had for almost 7 years. When Joe bought it I told him, "you know I am not going to drive that thing". So why was I sad to see it go? I was, to my own shock. I am not one to get emotionally attached to things, especially not cars! However, that truck has been with us for awhile and so many great memories went with it. The best memories that stood out...One, driving Jake home from the hospital. I was wheeled out the hospital doors to find the Excursion pulled up and waiting. Jakey was so teeny tiny and we were first time parents. We placed him in the very back, middle seat (because that was the safest) and he screamed the entire way home. Looking back on that makes me smile and fully appreciate that no new parent can be fully prepared for what is to come with kids. It does change everything, but you wouldn't have it any other way. Secondly, us all driving Joshy home from the airport. An entirely different experience. After a month away in a different country, traveling for 20+ hours and finally landing on American soil, which I never thought could feel so good, we walked out to see the Excursion pulled up by my dad waiting for us. I remember feeling the first piece of home. Looking back on that to makes me smile. Smile because you never know what life is going to throw you and where God is going to take you. Central Siberia!!! Thirdly, driving out with the boys to a ranch an hour and a half away to only drive right back with a little puppy. He laid on the floor of the truck so scared. On the drive home we shouted out names all ending in agreement with Leroy. There are too many memories to recall. So much life has happened and changed in the last 7 years. I guess it is true the older you get the more sentimental you become. Well there are new memories to be made and on that note Joe bought a new Jeep Grand Cherokee. That night we all loaded up in it and cruised around the neighborhood. Since we were only in the neighborhood we let Jake sit up front, which he thought was too cool. Joshy and I sat in the back. Joe had the music up loud and was dancing. The boys were laughing and Joshy was doing his dance moves. New memories and like the last 7 years it will go too fast. It is possible this new SUV could become Jakes when he starts driving. Ohhh I really don't want to think about that! So in that moment I could not help but pause, fully enjoy it, and smile to myself:)
Goodbye Excursion you served our family well. We hope you do the same for the next.

No comments: